New Scarlets deal for John

Date published: April 27 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Phil_John_Scarlets_v_Northampton_LV_Cup_2015

The Scarlets have announced that experienced loosehead prop Phil John has signed a contract extension, keeping him at the region for the 2015/16 season.

John is the latest Scarlet to put pen to paper, with new recruit Dylan Evans confirmed last week and Scarlets' newest international Rob Evans also signing a contract extension, and is another boost for the club ahead of the remaining two rounds in the PRO12.

Llanelli born and bred, John is amongst a dying breed of one-club players having joined as an apprentice in 1999 and has since gone on to make over 300 appearances for the region as well as dozens of appearances for feeder clubs Llanelli RFC and Llandovery RFC.

Commenting on the news head coach Wayne Pivac said: "We have a number of young local boys making a name for themselves and being able to call on a player of Phil's experience is beneficial to us.”

The loosehead prop, who celebrated his 34th birthday on Saturday with a victory over Dragons at the Millennium Stadium, said: "I've been with the club for 16 seasons and it's very exciting to look forward to another season with a club that has such a strong heritage and tradition.”

John is the latest player to extend his contract with the Scarlets ahead of 2015/16 alongside Liam Williams, Ken Owens, Rob Evans, George Earle and Lewis Rawlins who have all penned new deals with the region.

Rhodri Jones, Samson Lee, Jake Ball and Scott Williams all also set for a bright future at the region on national dual contracts.

Amongst the new names added to Scarlets' squad are Glasgow and Canadian winger DTH van der Merwe, fly-half Aled Thomas, tighthead prop Will Taylor from Wasps, lock Tom Price from Leicester Tigers and Welsh qualified loosehead prop Dylan Evans.

COMMENTS