Munster fight back to beat Edinburgh

Date published: November 7 2015

Munster handed Edinburgh a first home defeat of the season as they edged their way to a 16-14 win at Murrayfield.

John Ryan scored an early try for Munster, while Ian Keatley kicked 11 points to send Munster up to second in the table.

It took just seven minutes for Munster to race into the lead via Ryan, who steamed over for the opening try following some neat work from Keith Earls.

That allowed Keatley to add the conversion to put the Irish province into a commanding position early on at Murrayfield.

Edinburgh's first points of the afternoon came via the boot of Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, but the sure-footed Keatley followed that up with another penalty as Munster put together an impressive first half performance to stifle the home side.

Hidalgo-Clyne was able to reduce the deficit again on the brink of half-time with his second successful kick of the evening, but it was Munster's half as they went into the break 10-6 ahead.

The tight nature of the first half followed well into the second, but Will Helu changed the outlook of the tie with Edinburgh's first try. Cornell Du Preez was influential in the build up, and after a quick check from upstairs, Helu was off celebrating as the hosts put themselves firmly back into contention of what was now a very even game.

Hidalgo-Clyne quickly followed up with his third penalty as the home side stretched their lead to 14-10.

But the final 20 minutes were very assured from Munster, and Keatley was pivotal in ensuring it was his side who would leave with the victory.

Two penalties within six minutes of each other put Munster just a couple of points ahead, and despite an extremely nervy ending when Damien Hoyland intercepted the ball with time up, Munster held on to the win.

The scorers:

For Edinburgh:
Pens: Hidalgo-Clyne 3
Yellow Card: Tonks

For Munster:
Con: Keatley 
Pens: Keatley 3
Yellow Cards: Van den Heever, Saili

The teams:

Edinburgh: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Damien Hoyland, 13 Will Helu, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Tom Brown, 10 Greig Tonks, 9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 8 Cornell Du Preez, 7 Hamish Watson, 6 Mike Coman (c), 5 Alex Toolis, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Alasdair Dickinson.
Replacements: 16 Neil Cochrane, 17 Rory Sutherland, 18 John Andress, 19 Roddy Grant, 20 Nasi Manu, 21 Sean Kennedy, 22 Andries Strauss, 23 Dougie Fife.

Munster: 15 Simon Zebo, 14 Gerhard van den Heever, 13 Keith Earls, 12 Francis Saili, 11 Ronan O'Mahony, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Conor Murray, 8 CJ Stander (c), 7 Jack O'Donoghue, 6 Dave O'Callaghan, 5 Dave Foley, 4 Donnacha Ryan, 3 John Ryan, 2 Duncan Casey, 1 Dave Kilcoyne.
Replacements: 16 Niall Scannell, 17 James Cronin, 18 Mario Sagario, 19 Robin Copeland, 20 Jordan Coghlan, 21 Tomás O'Leary, 22 Rory Scannell, 23 Denis Hurley.

Venue: Murrayfield
Referee: David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Neil Paterson (Scotland), Bob Nevins (Scotland)
TMO: Jim Yuille (Scotland)