Muliaina charged with sexual assault

Date published: July 3 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Mils_Muliaina_Connacht_v_Gloucester_European_Challenge_Cup_2015

Former All Blacks full-back Mils Muliaina has been charged with sexual assault, according to a report.

A statement from South Wales police to the New Zealand Herald on Friday said: "Mils Muliaina has been charged with sexual assault on a female aged 16 or over. 

"He is scheduled to appear at Cardiff Magistrates Court on the 7th August 2015."

The New Zealand Rugby Players' Association said Muliaina confirmed that he had been charged, but would not be making further comments as the matter was before the courts.

In April, Muliaina spent about 20 hours at Cardiff Bay Police station after being taken away by police officers on live television at the Kingsholm Stadium after he played in Connacht's European Challenge Cup defeat to Gloucester.

The alleged sexual assault occurred in March when Connacht were in Cardiff to play the Cardiff Blues in a Pro12 match. 

At the time, Muliaina's lawyer Matthew de Maid said the 34-year-old, who represented the All Blacks in 100 Tests, denied the allegation made against him.

Muliaina left Connacht at the end of the 2014/15 season to join Italian side Zebre on a one-year deal.

COMMENTS