Mallinder expects ‘decent ban’ for Hartley

Date published: December 10 2016

Northampton director of rugby Jim Mallinder revealed that he expects Dylan Hartley to receive a substantial ban following his red card against Leinster.

Hartley departed after just six minutes on the pitch, having come on as a second-half replacement for Mikey Haywood.

A swinging arm to the head of Sean O’Brien is likely to see Hartley add to his total of 54 weeks worth of bans accumulated throughout his career.

Agreeing with the suggestion that Hartley should expect a decent ban, Mallinder said: “It’s a strike to the head, we’ve seen enough of them over the last few weeks. I think it was a red card.

“He’s been playing really well and leading England by example so it was disappointing.”

Mallinder also provided an update on George North, stating that the Wales on review by the Northampton medical team had been concussed during last weekend’s defeat away to Leicester.

“At the time of the incident, our medics from the views that they could see and speaking to George, they believed George was not concussed. On reviewing the other views, after the incident, they recognised that he was concussed or probably was and therefore would have probably done things differently,” Mallinder explained.

“‘He’s been to see the specialist. He’s been fine all week, he was fine actually soon as the incident occurred.

“We said before, he was talking as soon as the physio got to him, he was fine… there wasn’t an issue. He has had no symptoms of concussion.

“The specialist is happy that he is symptom free. But as advised, he take a couple of weeks recovery. The independent specialist has suggested that.%u200B”

Leinster went on to win the match 37-10 at Franklin’s Gardens.

COMMENTS