Leinster renew 17 contracts, sign Nagle

Date published: February 16 2016

Northampton Saints v London Irish - Aviva Premiership

Leinster head coach Leo Cullen has this afternoon confirmed that 17 players have signed new IRFU contracts with the province for 2016/17 and beyond, while a further two players have been added to the Leinster squad.

Three players notably not included amongst the renewals are Cian Healy, Eoin Reddan and Issac Boss.

While the central contract for Sean O'Brien had already been announced, as confirmed by the IRFU earlier today, Irish international centre Robbie Henshaw will be joining Leinster from Connacht as will former Munster lock Ian Nagle who played on 29 occasions for his home province.

"We are delighted to have secured Robbie's signature for the next three seasons. Robbie is a huge talent and we have all seen that over the last few weeks and months with Ireland in the Six Nations and during the World Cup," Cullen said.

"We look forward to welcoming him into Leinster when this season is over and I am sure that our supporters would echo that view."

Welcoming former Munster man Nagle, Cullen said: "It is well documented at this stage that Ian took a sabbatical from rugby at the end of the 2013/14 season to pursue educational opportunities most recently at Cambridge University. He has however made a return to rugby with London Irish.

"He is also relatively young at 27 and I think he will add even more experience and competition to an already competitive second row roster."

Cullen also spoke about the recruitment process to date and the players confirmed for next season.

He said: "By and large we are very happy with where we are at. It is fantastic to see so many talented players commit their futures to Leinster and I think the supporters will be hugely excited as we continue to build our squad for the 2016/17 season and beyond."

COMMENTS