Leicester get the job done against Bath

Date published: September 25 2016

Leicester Tigers recorded a heavy 34-14 win over Bath at Welford Road to move into the top four of the Premiership.

The Tigers were in command for the majority of the match, and never lost hold of the lead they took in the opening five minutes. Richard Cockerill's side were rarely troubled by an underwhelming Bath side, who suffered their heaviest Premiership defeat since December 2012. 

Leicester dominated the early stages, earning 20 phases of play and got their reward with a coolly dispatched penalty from Owen Williams – his first of the season – after Ross Batty came in from the side of the maul. 

Soon after, a vintage Tigers try followed. Telusa Veainu burnt two men before off-loading to Peter Betham whose path but met a solid defence. Fortunately, Brendan O'Connor was aware and collected a swift pass before going over. 

Williams' kick looked destined to add the extras but agonisingly hit the post. 

The game looked to be getting away from the visitors when Williams scored a penalty on the 20 minute mark, but Bath number 10 George Ford sliced a kick and somehow found its way into the arms of Semesa Rokodugini who never looked like being caught by the Leicester backs. 

A conversion from Ford added the extras and it was suddenly game on. With Bath assuming the momentum into half time, Leicester had the last laugh of the first 40 as Williams hit his second penalty of the thrilling encounter. 

The Tigers started the second half on top and after a discussion whether to kick to the corner or for the points, the former option proved the correct one as captain Tom Youngs showed his strength and determination to cross the white-wash and, with the help of Williams' extras, put Leicester back in command of the tie.

Soon after, Ford endured a nightmare from the tee, his effort hitting the post from just metres out as Bath endured a torrid start to the second half. 

A quick succession of penalties around the hour mark saw Williams tuck home at the second attempt having fired wide with the original effort. 

Bath were the scorers of the game's fourth try as Tom Dunn scored his first in the Premiership after an all-too-easy collection from the line-out. Ford added the extras from the angle as Bath looked to make a game of it in the last 10 minutes. 

Freddie Burns' introduction had an adverse effect on Bath, and his grubber kick led to the final try of the match via the hand of Ed Slater, with Burns kicking for the final points of the contest.

The scorers:

For Leicester:
Tries: O'Connor, Youngs, Slater
Cons: Williams, Burns
Pens: Williams 5

For Bath:
Tries: Rokoduguni, Dunn
Cons: Ford 2

Leicester: 15 Telusa Veainu, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Peter Betham, 12 Owen Williams, 11 JP Pietersen, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Lachlan McCaffrey, 7 Brendon O'Connor, 6 Mike Williams, 5 Graham Kitchener, 4 Mike Fitzgerald, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs (c), 1 Marcos Ayerza 
Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Ellis Genge, 18 Greg Bateman, 19 Ed Slater, 20 Will Evans, 21 Sam Harrison, 22 Jack Roberts, 23 Mathew Tait 

Bath: 15 Tom Homer, 14 Semesa Rokoduguni, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Matt Banahan, 11 Anthony Watson, 10 George Ford (c), 9 Kahn Fotuali’i, 8 Leroy Houston, 7 Tom Ellis, 6 Matt Garvey, 5 Dave Attwood, 4 Charlie Ewels, 3 Henry Thomas, 2 Ross Batty, 1 Nathan Catt
Replacements: 16 Tom Dunn, 17 Beno Obano, 18 Max Lahiff, 19 Elliott Stooke, 20 Zach Mercer, 21 Will Homer, 22 Dan Bowden, 23 Jeff Williams

Referee: Matthew Carley 
Assistant Referees: Tim Wigglesworth & Gareth Copsey
TMO: Trevor Fisher