Late try wins 1872 Cup for Edinburgh

Date published: January 2 2016

A 75th minute try from Phil Burleigh helped Edinburgh win back-to-back games against Glasgow, prevailing 14-11 to lift the 1872 Cup at Murrayfield on Saturday.

A frantic end to the game saw Glasgow put 28 phases together before being awarded a penalty, but Edinburgh were able to keep them at bay.

The victory means Edinburgh win the annual Cup by an aggregate score of 37-19.

The game was re-arranged to take place at Murrayfield, after a waterlogged Scotstoun pitch was deemed unplayable.

The boot of Duncan Weir opened the scoring, converting a penalty from 22 metres out in the opening stages of the game.

Edinburgh's Sam Hidalgo-Clyne answered Weir's kick by converting two of his own in the space of ten minutes, taking his side in to a three point lead.

Ten minutes before the half-time whistle, Glasgow scored the game's first try through Mark Bennett, as the outside centre dived for the line following some fast passing across the attacking line. From a tight angle, Weir failed to add the extras from the tee.

As the first-half came to a close, Fraser Brown saw his try ruled out after the TMO found him to have impeded Hidalgo-Clyne off the ball prior to picking it up and reaching for the whitewash.

Hidalgo-Clyne failed to make Glasgow pay for their mistakes after missing a penalty that would've taken Edinburgh in to the lead, before Weir extended the Warriors' lead to five points after he converted from in front of the posts.

Coming in to the final quarter of the game, Hidalgo-Clyne brought his side within a score of their opponents by converting from the tee, but failed to take his side ahead with a drop-goal that he sliced wide.

A missed tackle from Stuart Hogg gave Edinburgh's Burleigh the chance to dive for the line as he took his side ahead for the second time in the game, but Hidalgo-Clyne's missed conversion meant the Warriors only trailed by three points at Murrayfield.

With the clock in the red, Glasgow made steps towards the try line but a resilient Edinburgh defence kept them out to secure the victory.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Try: Bennett
Pen: Weir 2

For Edinburgh:
Try: Burleigh
Pen: Hidalgo-Clyne 3

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Taqele Naiyaravoro, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Peter Horne, 11 Sean Lamont, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Ali Price, 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Chris Fusaro, 6 Ryan Wilson, 5 Jonny Gray (c), 4 Greg Peterson, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Gordon Reid.
Replacements: 16 Shalva Mamukashvili, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Sila Puafisi, 19 Leone Nakarawa, 20 Hugh Blake, 21 Grayson Hart, 22 Peter Murchie, 23 Lee Jones.

Edinburgh: 15 Jack Cuthbert, 14 Dougie Fife, 13 Michael Allen, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Damien Hoyland, 10 Phil Burleigh, 9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 8 Cornell Du Preez, 7 John Hardie, 6 Mike Coman (c), 5 Ben Toolis, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Rory Sutherland.
Replacements: 16 Neil Cochrane, 17 Allan Dell, 18 John Andress, 19 Alex Toolis, 20 Jamie Ritchie, 21 Sean Kennedy, 22 Greig Tonks, 23 Andries Strauss.

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbons (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Lloyd Linton (Scotland), Graeme Wells (Scotland)
TMO: Jim Yuille (Scotland)