Lancaster responds to Mallett rumours

Date published: October 9 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Stuart_Lancaster_England_training_Manchester

Stuart Lancaster addressed speculation on Friday that former South Africa boss Nick Mallett had been contacted by the RFU.

Mallett was in the running to take charge of England back in 2012 before Lancaster was appointed.

Now working for Supersport in South Africa, Mallett was quoted by Netwerk24 saying that he had been contacted by the RFU this week, but admitted he had no interest in the role.

“I’m not going to consider it. I was keen for the challenge in 2011, but not anymore. I’m enjoying my current job,” said Mallett.

Meanwhile, Lancaster admitted he did not know about the call.

"I didn't know that to be honest. I guess that's just the nature of the situation we are in," Lancaster said when asked about the link in his final press conference before Saturday's game with Uruguay.

"For me it's a case of getting on with the day job and I have enough to be thinking about without worrying about anything else to be honest."

Lancaster believes that he has a good relationship with the RFU and chief executive Ian Ritchie, ahead of a review into England's calamitous exit from the World Cup.

"[Ritchie] has been in camp and I had a quick chat with him yesterday but he's busy getting the review and everything prepared and I'm obviously busy getting the team ready for Uruguay. I'm sure that will come in the next week or so," he added.

"I spend a lot of time talking to the directors of rugby and chatting through things.

"My approach beyond this tournament is to do exactly the same as I have always done irrespective of the reviews that are happening.

 "I will go see them and chat it all through professionally and privately the way it should be done."

COMMENTS