Glasgow edge Munster

Date published: February 20 2016

Two early tries from Sila Puafisi help Glasgow secure a bonus point 27-24 win over Munster at Rugby Park.

With a number of internationals returning, the likes of Duncan Weir made an immediate impact. Within the first eight minutes, he'd converted two tries as the hosts raced out of the blocks. 

It was Sila Puafisi who went over on both occasions, the first of which came just three minutes in.

The Tongan was the recipient of the final pass after some scintillating interplay, going in under the posts and setting an easy kick up for Weir. And the two combined again four minutes later, catching Munster out again.

Josh Strauss made the original burst, and the move culminated in Puafisi doubling his Warriors account just seven minutes into the game. Weir's conversion gave a 14-0 dream start to the hosts.

That initial start was matched five minutes later by Munster though, who halved the deficit. Dave Kilcoyne was at the end of a lengthy attack, and Ian Keatley's conversion put the game right back into contention.

The Rugby Park crowd were being treated to one of the games of the season already, when within the first 25 minutes it was two tries apiece. Keatey reduced the lead to four just before that, kicking through a well hit penalty to reduce the arrears.

But not to be out done, Kilcoyne became the second double try scorer of the night. After pressing deep into the Glasgow 22, the prop burst over again. Keatley's conversion took a three-point lead for Munster after their horror start.

Weir missed a chance to level when he saw a penalty float wide of the posts, and despite late pressure after kicking to the corner, Munster had turned the game on its head by half-time.

But almost as quick as they had in the first half, Glasgow stormed over four minutes into the second.

It was incredible from Weir, who wasn't content with just his kicking efforts. After making a run from outside the Munster 22, the Scotsman found the space to slide over right inside the corner and steal the lead back.

As the rain started to hammer down, the game became affected though, and that halted the try scoring.

Tomas O'Leary found himself sent into the sin-bin for a deliberate knock on, giving Warriors a big chance to go forward again. But the game became much tighter than the open nature of the first half, but Glasgow were able to edge further ahead.

Weir's kick from just inside his own half stretched the gap upto five, though Munster were not about to accept defeat.

After a kick into the corner, Mike Sherry was in control of possession as bodies burst over the line, and despite the TMO checking things over, the try was awarded. Keatley fired the conversion through and it was the turn of Munster again to hold a small lead.

But such was the nature of the game, Warriors snatched back the lead. Seconds after James Cronin was shown a yellow card, Glenn Bryce went over from a wide position, sealing the bonus point at the same time.

Weir missed the conversion, but Glasgow looked superbly placed to record their first victory in almost a month.

Keatley almost levelled the scoring from a drop-goal attempt, but it floated wide as the clock ran down with just five. And that was the final chance at a comeback, as Glasgow secured the 27-24 win on home soil.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Tries: Puafisi 2, Weir, Bryce
Cons: Weir 2
Pen: Weir

For Munster:
Tries: Kilcoyne 2, Sherry
Con: Keatley 3
Pens: Keatley
Yellow Cards: O'Leary, Cronin

Glasgow: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Taqele Naiyaravoro, 13 Glenn Bryce, 12 Peter Horne, 11 Sean Lamont, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Ali Price, 8 Josh Strauss (c), 7 Chris Fusaro, 6 Rob Harley, 5 Leone Nakarawa, 4 Tim Swinson, 3 Sila Puafisi, 2 James Malcolm, 1 Gordon Reid
Replacements: 16 Cammy Fenton, 17 Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 18 Zander Fagerson, 19 Greg Peterson, 20 Simone Favaro, 21 Grayson Hart, 22 Fraser Lyle, 23 Rory Hughes

Munster: 15 Andrew Conway, 14 Darren Sweetnam, 13 David Johnston, 12 Rory Scannell, 11 Ronan O'Mahony, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Tomás O'Leary, 8 Robin Copeland, 7 Tommy O’Donnell, 6 Jack O’Donoghue, 5 Billy Holland (c), 4 Donnacha Ryan, 3 John Ryan, 2 Niall Scannell, 1 Dave Kilcoyne
Replacements: 16 Mike Sherry, 17 James Cronin, 18 Mario Sagario, 19 Dave Foley, 20 Conor Oliver, 21 Duncan Williams, 22 Johnny Holland, 23 Cian Bohane

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Sam Grove-White (Scotland), Mike Adamson (Scotland)
TMO: Charles Samson (Scotland), Jim Yuille (Scotland)