Glasgow bounce back with maximum

Date published: March 4 2017

Glasgow Warriors picked up a bonus-point victory over the Dragons at Scotstoun on Saturday, seeing off the Welsh region 47-17.

The Dragons shocked the Scottish outfit early on, taking a 10-0 lead via Angus O'Brien's penalty and Rynard Landman's try, but the Warriors' class eventually told.

47 unanswered points was the result of their pressure as Nick Grigg went over twice in the first half and Rory Hughes, Ratu Tagive, Lee Jones, Mark Bennett and Peter Horne followed him after the break.

The Welsh region did have the final word through Tyler Morgan but it was another disappointing afternoon for the visitors.

With the Dragons not supplying too many internationals to the Wales set-up, the Six Nations period should provide an opportunity for the side to make up ground in the league.

However, they have struggled over the last month, going down to Irish trio Munster, Connacht and Leinster over consecutive weeks.

That tide appeared to be changing in this encounter when the visitors found themselves 10-0 in front thanks to O'Brien's penalty and Landman's close range converted try.

They were not looking comfortable in defence, though, and Glasgow duly mounted a comeback in the final 10 minutes of the half. Grigg was the spark, showing pace, power and exceptional finishing ability to touch down twice and give the Warriors a 14-10 advantage at the interval.

The hosts maintained that momentum in the second period when Hughes powered over and Tagive soon followed him as Gregor Townsend's men secured the bonus-point.

It was now matter of damage-limitation for the Dragons, but their defence once again crumbled as Jones crossed the whitewash.

Bennett then scampered over before the Welsh region's humiliation was completed late on by Horne's breakaway effort.

Morgan did touch down for the Dragons in the final minute but they were outplayed in the second period.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Tries: Grigg 2, Hughes, Tagive, Jones, Bennett, Horne
Cons: Horne 6

For Dragons:
Tries: Landman, Morgan
Cons: O'Brien, Jones
Pen: O'Brien

Glasgow: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Lee Jones, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Nick Grigg, 11 Rory Hughes, 10 Peter Horne, 9 Henry Pyrgos (c), 8 Richie Vernon, 7 Simone Favaro, 6 Rob Harley, 5 Brian Alainu’uese, 4 Tim Swinson, 3 D’arcy Rae, 2 Corey Flynn, 1 Alex Allan
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Jamie Bhatti, 18 Sila Pufasi, 19 Scott Cummings, 20 Chris Fusaro, 21 Nemia Kenatale, 22 Brandon Thomson, 23 Ratu Tagive

Dragons: 15 Tom Prydie, 14 Pat Howard, Adam Warren, 13 Tyler Morgan, 12 Sam Beard, 11 Adam Warren, 10 Angus O’Brien, 9 Sarel Pretorius; 8 Lewis Evans (c), 7 Nic Cudd, 6 Ollie Griffiths, 5 Rynard Landman, 4 James Thomas, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Elliot Dee, 1 Sam Hobbs
Replacements: 16 Rhys Buckley, 17 Thomas Davies, 18 Lloyd Fairbrother, 19 Matthew Screech, 20 Harrison Keddie, 21 Charlie Davies, 22 Dorian Jones, 23 Will Talbot-Davies

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: David Wilkinson (Ireland), Dunx McClement (Scotland)
TMO: Brian MacNeice (Ireland)