Fourie’s Springbok days are over

Date published: August 6 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Jaque_Fourie_Springbok_training

Veteran centre Jaque Fourie is almost certain to be excluded from South Africa's Rugby World Cup squad. 

The 32-year-old, who was a key member of the Springboks' 2007 World Cup-winning team, had announced his international retirement late last year, only for coach Heyneke Meyer to bring him back into the fold in the hope bolstering the squad's experience.

But Fourie was sent back to his club in Japan to work on his fitness just a week after joing the national training camp. 

With the emergence of Jesse Kriel as a quality option in the 13 jersey, Meyer has admitted that the former Lions centre is unlikely to feature in the green and gold again.

The Witness now also reports that sources inside the Bok camp have confirmed that Fourie told Meyer that he will not be ready to play in England and does not wish to be considered for the World Cup.

"We have put [Fourie] on standby but he probably won’t be selected," said Meyer this week.

"I have had discussions with Jaque. He has a few club commitments, but will be available if needed. However, Jesse has come through really well as an outside centre, and Damian de Allende can play there too. 

"We also still have Jan Serfontein, who hasn’t played this year because of injury. He played outside centre last year, and of course Jean de Villiers can play there too.

"We will take just three centres and three wingers to the World Cup. There will always be injuries, we know that, and if a player is injured during the tournament he can’t be replaced from back home unless he is being ruled out of the rest of the event. 

"So we need versatile guys. Frans Steyn can play full-back and centre, and it will be good if Jesse shows he can cover both centre and wing in addition to full-back, where at this stage I would say Pat Lambie is slightly ahead of him because of kicking issues."

COMMENTS