Ford not interested in England job

Date published: October 7 2015

1024x768__origin__0x0_GettyImages-475245900

Bath coach Mike Ford has ruled himself out of the England job if Stuart Lancaster is fired or resigns after the World Cup.

Speculation has already begun over a potential successor to Lancaster, who has overseen England's failure to get out of the pool stages of the World Cup, the first time England have failed to do so in their history.

It's also the first time the hosts have been knocked out before the quarter-finals, with Eddie Jones and Jake White among those in contention should Lancaster's reign come to an end.

Ford had been mentioned as one of the leading English candidates, having impressed for Bath over the last two seasons, while also having previous international experience with England.

However Ford said he has unfinished business at Bath, who lost in the Premiership final last season as well as reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions Cup.

"I can’t walk away from here because the last two years I’ve made commitments to players to stay with me for the next four years and carry on what we’re doing," he told BBC Radio 5 Live

"I can’t walk away. I’ve not won anything yet either. I’ve got a fantastic opportunity over the next few years to do really well at Bath. I want to leave a legacy and this is the best place for me.

"I’d turn it down. In four years time, 2019, who knows, but at this moment in time I want to be part of it, part of winning something [at Bath]."

COMMENTS