Five-try Tigers march on at Treviso

Date published: November 21 2015

Leicester Tigers' perfect start to the Champions Cup continued when they claimed a hard-fought 36-3 victory over Treviso on Saturday.

While it wasn't always a pretty spectacle, the English side delivered a clinical performance and outscored their hosts five tries to zero although they had to wait until the 68th minute for their bonus-point try.

Telusa Veainu was the man to cross for the important score to complete a deserved double after he also dotted down in the first half.

The win means Leicester now have a full house of 10 points from their two matches played after they defeated Stade Français in their opener last weekend.

This is in contrast to Treviso, who have now lost their first two matches of the competition. They would have hoped to obtain at least a bonus point but they seldom troubled their visitors.

While the Tigers were in control from the outset, they battled to convert their dominance into points and only had a sixth minute Tommy Bell penalty to show after the early exchanges.

It took the sin-binning of Treviso tighthead prop Rupert Harden – for constant infringements at scrum-time – to open the door for the visitors.

Shortly after Harden received his marching orders referee Mathieu Raynal awarded a penalty try to the visitors after Treviso's pack were penalised for collapsing the set-piece again.

Leicester continued to dominate and were rewarded in the 37th minute when Veainu gathered a perfectly-weighted grubber kick from Bell before crossing for the visitors' second try.

Treviso finally opened their account when James Ambrosini added a three-pointer from the kicking tee after Brendon O'Connor was penalised for infringing at a ruck.

That three-pointer was cancelled out shortly afterwards when Peter Betham rounded off in the right-hand corner after finding himself in space inside Treviso's 22 shortly before half-time.

Leicester thought they had secured their bonus-point when Veainu went over acrobatically in the right-hand corner, after running on to an inside pass from Betham, but after consulting with the televsion match official referee Raynal ruled that the full-back knocked on while crossing the try-line.

Five minutes later Treviso were reduced to 14 men again when Jeff Montauriol was yellow-carded for taking Sam Harrison out off the ball.

The rest of the half was a war of attrition as the Tigers went in search of that elusive fourth try and they were eventually rewarded when Veainu showed deft footwork to beat a couple of defenders before scoring under the posts.

That try took the wind out of Treviso's sails and Leicester sealed victory in the game's dying moments when Greg Bateman glided through a gap in the home side's defence to score under the posts.

The scorers:

For Treviso:
Pen: Ambrosini
Yellow cards: Harden, Montauriol

For Leicester:
Tries: Penalty try, Veainu 2, Betham, Bateman
Cons: Bell 3, Bai
Pen: Bell

Treviso: 15 Luke McLean, 14 Ludovico Nitoglia, 13 Enrico Bacchin, 12 Sam Christie, 11 Tommaso Iannone, 10 James Ambrosini, 9 Edoardo Gori (c), 8 Abraham Steyn, 7 Francesco Minto, 6 Marco Barbini, 5 Jeff Montauriol, 4 Teofilo Paulo, 3 Rupert Harden, 2 Ornel Gega, 1 Matteo Zanusso.
Replacements: 16 Davide Giazzon, 17 Matteo Muccignat, 18 Filippo Filippetto, 19 Dean Budd, 20 Marco Lazzaroni, 21 Andrea de Marchi, 22 Chris Smylie, 23 Andrea Pratichetti.

Leicester: 15 Telusa Veainu, 14 Peter Betham, 13 Mathew Tait (c), 12 Matt Smith, 11 Adam Thompstone, 10 Tommy Bell, 9 Sam Harrison, 8 Jordan Crane, 7 Brendon O'Connor, 6 Tom Croft, 5 Mike Fitzgerald, 4 Dom Barrow, 3 Fraser Balmain, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Marcos Ayerza.
Replacements: 16 Greg Bateman, 17 Matias Aguero, 18 Dan Cole, 19 Ed Slater, 20 Lachlan McCaffrey, 21 Ben Youngs, 22 Seremaia Bai, 23 George Catchpole.

Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)

By David Skippers