Five-try Falcons down Quins

Date published: May 16 2015

Newcastle ended their Premiership campaign with a five-try 37-21 victory over Harlequins at Kingston Park on Saturday.

In a tightly contested affair momentum between the two sides ebbed and flowed but it was Newcastle who got the rub of the green in the end coming away with a comprehensive victory.

Richard Mayhew got the first try of the match after just two minutes as the Falcons managed to build up a lead via Tom Catterick's boot.

But Nick Evans kept Harlequins in the game scoring all of the visitors' points in the first half with a try, two penalties and a conversion to give the visitors a 11-16 lead at half-time.

Scott Lawson opened the scoring for the second half but that was soon cancelled out by a brilliant solo effort from Marland Yarde.

However a mix of luck and hard work soon put the game beyond the reach of Quins, with Mike Blair, Adam Powell, and Andy Saull all crossing over to put the game beyond the visitors reach.

Both teams were secure in their places in the Aviva Premiership leading into this game and looked as if they had nothing to lose as both teams strung together wave after wave of reckless attack.

After a threatening spell of possession Newcastle drove over the line after just two minutes through Mayhew. Catterick couldn't add the finishing touches though confining the lead to 5-0.

Newcastle were penalised for not rolling away after seven minutes and Evans decided to steady the ship with three points for the away team.

Quins were pinged for offside two minutes later and Catterick restored the lead to five before the Falcons were given another shot at goal following a high tackle and a composed Catterick extended Newcastle's lead to 11-3.

The visitors replied with three points of their own, Evans keeping Quins in the game at 11-6 and a dangerous spell of pressure saw Harlequins get their first try of the match after 28 minutes.

Evans got the try and the conversion to give the visitors the lead for the first time in the game and the Newcastle defence strayed offside to give Evans another shot at goal on 39 minutes, he made no mistake giving Quins 16-11 lead at half-time.

Lawson got the first try of the second half off the back of a driving maul and Catterick added the extras to regain the lead for the home team, 18-16.

The lead only lasted for five minutes though as Yarde shrugged off the Newcastle defence for his ninth try of the season. This time Evans couldn't quite manage the conversion in windy conditions.

The lead changed hands yet again as Newcastle scored against the run of play. Blair crossed over for his last try for the club before returning to Glasgow next season. Catterick slotted the conversion in front of the posts to open up a 25-21 lead for the home side.

Powell found a gap and crossed over for yet another Falcons try and Ruki Tipuna swung a huge pass out to Saull in the last play of the match and the flanker pounced on it to score the last try of Newcastle's season. Alex Tuilagi stepped up for a novelty conversion attempt but missed, capping off an impressive win for the Falcons.

The scorers:

For Newcastle:
Tries: Mayhew, Lawson, Blair, Powell, Saul
Cons: Catterick 3
Pens: Catterick 2

For Harlequins:
Tries: Evans, Yarde
Con: Evans
Pens: Evans 3

Newcastle: 15 Simon Hammersley, 14 Alex Tait, 13 Adam Powell, 12 Juan Pablo Socino, 11 Alesana Tuilagi, 10 Tom Catterick, 9 Mike Blair (c), 8 Uili Kolo’ofai, 7 Mark Wilson, 6 Richard Mayhew, 5 Scott Macleod, 4 Calum Green, 3 Kieran Brookes, 2 Scott Lawson, 1 Eric Fry.
Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Rob Vickers, 18 Alex Rogers, 19 Will Witty, 20 Andy Saull, 21 Ruki Tipuna, 22 Andy Tuilagi, 23 Zach Kibirige.

Harlequins: 15 Ollie Lindsay-Hague, 14 Marland Yarde, 13 Joe Marchant, 12 Harry Sloan, 11 Charlie Walker, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Danny Care (c), 8 Netani Talei, 7 Jack Clifford, 6 James Chisholm, 5 Charlie Matthews, 4 George Merrick, 3 Matt Shields, 2 Dave Ward, 1 Darryl Marfo.

Replacements: 16 Joe Gray, 17 Rob Buchanan, 18 Seb Adeniran-Olule, 19 Sam Twomey, 20 Joe Trayfoot, 21 Karl Dickson, 22 Ben Botica, 23 Tom Williams.

Venue: Kingston Park
Referee: Thomas Foley
Assistant Referees: Steve Lee, Robin Goodliffe
TMO: David Sainsbury