Falcons, Wasps can’t be seperated

Date published: February 20 2015

Newcastle Falcons and Wasps played out an entertaining 23-23 draw on Friday at Kingston Park, with Elliot Daly standing out.

Daly earned a Man of the Match performance in a game that Dai Young will feel his side should have won.

The Falcons were quick out the blocks in the first half with an early try from Alex Tait and a penalty from Tom Catterick.

Back to back tries from Andy Goode and Elliot Daly stole the lead for Wasps just before halftime with the scores locked at 11-13.

Josh Ferno got the home team's lead back after the break but the scores were quickly levelled again via Goode's boot. Juan Socino gave the Falcons the lead on 63 minutes but a magnificent Guy Thompson try four minutes later levelled the scores until the games close with the teams locked at 23-23.

This game was of vital importance to Wasps who were just two points behind third place Saracens.

Great hands from Adam Powell and the Newcastle back line handed Tait the first try of the match after just four minutes. Catterick couldn't convert but made amends with a penalty four minutes later to put the home side 8-0 in front.

Goode put Wasps on the score sheet from the kicking tee with a quarter of the game played. Miller levelled the scores at 8-8 ten minutes later but Goode shanked the game's second conversion .

Daly took advantage of his sides momentum to put them in front two minutes later but Goode once again failed to convert.

Tom Catterick's boot got the last points of the half to keep the tie poised beautifully at 11-13. Quick hands and sloppy defending handed Josh Furno the opening try of the second half but Newcastle continued the game's trend of missed conversions, 16-13.

Goode levelled the scores from the kicking tee before Socino intercepted and danced away from the Wasps defence to give the home team the lead.

Catterick scored the first conversion of the match to make it 23-16. Daly carved up the Falcon's defence and dispatched an outrageous one armed offload to find Thompson, who scored between the points with 13 minutes to go.

Goode knocked over a simple conversion to level the scores yet again. Both teams pushed for the win in the final ten minutes but couldn't find that crucial point. In the end the points where shared with the scores locked at 23-23.


The scorers:

For Newcastle:
Tries: Tait, Furno, Socino
Cons: Catterick
Pens: Catterick

For Wasps:
Tries: Miller, Daly, Thompson

Con: Goode

Pens: Goode 2

Newcastle: 15 Alex Tait, 14 Sinoti Sinoti, 13 Adam Powell, 12 Juan Pablo Socino, 11 Noah Cato, 10 Tom Catterick, 9 Mike Blair, 8 Ally Hogg, 7 Will Welch, 6 Mark Wilson, 5 Dom Barrow, 4 Josh Furno, 3 Kieran Brookes, 2 Rob Hawkins, 1 Rob Vickers
Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Juan Pablo Orlandi, 18 Scott Wilson, 19 Kane Thompson, 20 Richard Mayhew, 21 Ruki Tipuna, 22 Rory Clegg, 23 Gonzalo Tiesi

Wasps: 15 Rob Miller, 14 Christian Wade, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 James Downey, 11 Sailosi Tagicakibau, 10 Andy Goode, 9  Joe Simpson, 8 Nathan Hughes, 7 Thomas Young, 6 Ashley Johnson, 5 Kearnan Myall, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Jake Cooper-Woolley, 2 Carlo Festuccia, 1 Matt Mullan (c)
Replacements: 16 Edd Shervington, 17 John Yapp, 18 Lorenzo Cittadini, 19 James Gaskell, 20 Guy Thompson, 21 Tom Bliss, 22 Alex Lozowski, 23 Andrea Masi    

Referee: JP Doyle
Assistant Referees: Tim Wigglesworth, Andy Watson
TMO: Sean Davey