Eleven-try Wasps obliterate Welsh

Date published: November 17 2014

Wasps said goodbye to Premiership rugby at Adams Park in style as they triumphed 71-7 against strugglers London Welsh on Sunday.

Wasps said goodbye to Premiership rugby at Adams Park in style as they triumphed 71-7 against strugglers London Welsh on Sunday.

Nathan Hughes’ two tries, as well as efforts from Ashley Johnson and Sailosi Tagicakibau, gave the hosts a comfortable 26-0 lead at the break.

Further scores via Wade (three), Johnson (two more), Joe Simpson and Tom Varndell extended their advantage beyond the 70-point mark, although Ben Pienaar did give Welsh some reason to cheer, however faint.

The Exiles have endured a torrid season back in the Premiership having failed to win a game in all competitions.

Their last encounter, an 18-9 defeat to Gloucester in the LV=Cup showed a slight improvement, but they were no match for a side who were looking to get back into play-off contention.

Just one minute had elapsed before Dai Young’s men were on the score-board when weak defence saw Hughes charge over. Andy Goode was on target with the conversion and was soon adding the extras to a second try when Johnson crossed the whitewash.

Wasps then moved 21 points clear just before the end of the first quarter as Tagicakibau touched down unopposed following a fine passage of play by the home team.

Although Welsh showed some spirit for the next quarter-of-an-hour, a mistake by visiting full-back Seb Jewell gave Hughes an easy run-in. That confirmed the bonus-point as Young’s team went into the interval 26-0 in front.

Exiles’ head coach Justin Burnell needed a response, but unsurprisingly it was the High Wycombe-based outfit who continued to dominate.

Elliot Daly’s searing break resulted in Wade going over before Simpson and Hughes combined to send Johnson across the line. Welsh’s defence had been absent for most of the match, but it particularly started to show after half-time.

It was therefore no surprise to see Wasps go over for the third time since the interval when Kearnan Myall’s run and pass allowed Simpson to score.

The visitors displayed some spirit when an excellent attack was finished by Pienaar, but Johnson’s hat-trick try restored order.

Wade crossed the whitewash twice and Varndell also went over late on to add gloss to the scoreline and complete the Exiles’ most miserable day yet.

The scorers:

For Wasps:
Tries: Hughes 2, Johnson 3, Tagicakibau, Wade 3, Simpson, Varndell
Cons: Goode 6, Lozowski 2

For Welsh:
Try: Pienaar
Con: Robinson

Wasps: 15 Rob Miller, 14 Christian Wade, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Chris Bell, 11 Sailosi Tagicakibau, 10 Andy Goode, 9 Joe Simpson, 8 Nathan Hughes, 7 James Haskell (c), 6 Ashley Johnson, 5 James Gaskell, 4 James Cannon, 3 Jake Cooper Wooley, 2 Edd Shervington, 1 Simon McIntyre.
Replacements: 16 Tom Lindsay, 17 John Yapp, 18 Lorenzo Cittadini, 19 Kearnan Myall/Will Rowlands, 20 Sam Jones, 21 Tom Bliss, 22 Alex Lozowski, 23 Tom Varndell.

London Welsh: 15 Seb Jewell, 14 Seb Stegmann, 13 Nic Reynolds, 12 Tom May (c), 11 Nick Scott, 10 Will Robinson, 9 Rob Lewis, 8 Chris Hala’ufia, 7 Lachlan McCaffrey, 6 Peter Browne, 5 James Down, 4 Matt Corker, 3 Taione Vea, 2 Koree Britton, 1 Pablo Henn.
Replacements: 16 Shane Cahill, 17 Nathan Vella, 18 Ben Cooper, 19 Opeti Fonua, 20 Ben Pienaar, 21 Paul Rowley, 22 Gordon Ross, 23 Alan Awcock.

Referee: Thomas Foley
Assistant referee: Roy Maybank, Paul Dix