Edinburgh’s top four finish dealt a blow

Date published: April 15 2016

Edinburgh's chances at a top four finish where severely dented when they lost out to Leinster 30-23 at the RDS in Dublin on Friday.

Jason Tovey slotted an early penalty to put the visitors in front but two penalties from Ian Madigan gave the home side a 6-3 lead for the remainder of the first half. Luke McGrath snuck over for Leinster's first try, but Tom Brown crossed the line just three minutes later for Edinburgh's. 

Tries from Josh Van der Flier and Fergus Mcfadden stamped Leinster's dominance on the match, but Edinburgh scraped back some hope through a Mike Allen try. 

McFadden crept over for his second but Edinburgh once again hung on with a Sean Kennedy try. 

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne scored a late penalty to give the visitors a chance at a draw but they couldn't find that elusive fourth as Leinster won the day 30-23. 

Edinburgh won the reverse fixture 16-9 in Round One of the Pro12, and where looking to do their first double over Leinster since 2003/4. 

Tovey opened Edinburgh's account with a sweet strike from distance but Madigan replied immediately with two penalties of his own, making it 6-3 with ten minutes played. 

Jamie Ritchie saw yellow late in the half but Leinster couldn't break through the 14 man Edinburgh outfit as the teams went into half time locked at 6-3. A lineout move between Mick Kearney and Richardt Strauss in the middle set up McGrath for the game's first try. 

Madigan picked up the conversion to give Leinster a ten point lead. Tovey launched a huge pass out wide to find Brown who's legs only just managed to take him over the line. Tovey however couldn't manage the conversion leaving the score at 13-8. 

An intercept in the middle of the park put Van der Flier through for Leinster's second, and Madigan slotted the conversion to make it 20-8. Leinster where heading for bonus point territory as a sweeping move found McFadden on the wing for another try. Madigan missed his first of the match with the conversion. 

Another intercept handed Allen a try under the posts, Tovey's conversion reduced the home lead to ten points at 25-15. Some excellent work from Luke Fitzgerald unleashed McFadden for his second, earning Leinster a bonus point. Sean Kennedy skipped through to make it a ten point game for the third time in the match, but Tovey missed his conversion. 

Hidalgo-Clyne scored a late penalty to give Edinburgh a sniff at a draw with just two minutes to play. But it was too little too late as the Irish saw out the late pressure to win the match 30-23.

The scorers:

For Leinster:
Tries: McGrath, Van der Flier, McFadden 2
Cons: Madigan 2
Pens: Madigan 2

For Edinburgh:
Tries: Brown, Allen, Kennedy
Con: Tovey 
Pens: Tovey, Hidalgo-Clyne 2

Leinster: 15 Rob Kearney, 14 Fergus McFadden, 13 Ben Te'o, 12 Noel Reid, 11 Luke Fitzgerald, 10 Ian Madigan, 9 Luke McGrath, 8 Jordi Murphy, 7 Josh van der Flier, 6 Rhys Ruddock (c), 5 Mick Kearney, 4 Ross Molony, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Richardt Strauss, 1 Cian Healy
Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Peter Dooley, 18 Tadhg Furlong, 19 Devin Toner, 20 Dominic Ryan, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Cathal Marsh, 23 Dave Kearney

Edinburgh: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Damien Hoyland, 13 Chris Dean, 12 Phil Burleigh, 11 Tom Brown, 10 Jason Tovey, 9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 8 Cornell Du Preez, 7 John Hardie, 6 Jamie Ritchie, 5 Ben Toolis, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford (c), 1 Alasdair Dickinson
Replacements: 16 Stuart McInally, 17 Rory Sutherland, 18 John Andress, 19 Alex Toolis, 20 Magnus Bradbury, 21 Hamish Watson, 22 Sean Kennedy, 23 Mike Allan

Referee: Marius Mitrea (Italy)
Assistant Referees: Andy Brace (Ireland), Leo Colgan (Ireland)
TMO: Dermot Moloney (Ireland)