Edinburgh hold off Treviso fightback

Date published: September 12 2015

Edinburgh were made to work hard for their 27-24 victory over Treviso at Stadio Monigo on Saturday as they made it two wins from two this season.

First-half tries from Phil Burleigh, Damien Hoyland and Sam Beard looked like putting Edinburgh on their way to a dominant win on Italian soil. 

Tries either side of half-time from Andrea Pratichetti and Duncan Naude saw Treviso claw their way back into proceedings. But the boot of Greig Tonks ensured the Scotsmen could claim their second victory of the season.

It took just six minutes for Edinburgh to burst into the lead as Burleigh crossed the line. It came after they broke out of a line-out, and the ball was spread out across the field before the fly-half went over inside the corner, with Greig Tonks finishing off for a seven-point lead in the opening exchanges.

Edinburgh could have taken that lead into double figures after ten minutes, but Tonks missed a penalty attempt as the Scottish side grabbed an early foothold.

Not that they had to wait long though, as Hoyland went over following excellent wing play. The number 11 found space down the flank and did the rest after Beard's splitting pass found him, Tonks again nailing the conversion attempt as Treviso found themselves on the ropes.

The home fans did have reason to cheer when their first points coming from Jayden Hayward's boot, as they sandwiched a Tonks penalty.

But with seven minutes to play in the half, two tries became three as Beard went over after more prolonged pressure from Edinburgh, Tonks taking a 24-6 lead for his side.

Hayward again cut that lead thanks to his third penalty of the afternoon, and on the stroke of half-time they had a way back in.

Treviso's first try came following a lengthy spell of home possession, and they were able to eventually go over in the form of Pratichetti, who was able to hit the post pads before Hayward fired through the posts to see Treviso claw their way back into the game.

The other side of half-time immediately yielded the hosts' second try. Following a scrum, Naude drove over to reduce the deficit even further, though Hayward wasn't able to put the scores even closer.

Treviso smelt blood and levelled via Hayward's accurate boot, kicking through following more lengthy pressure. But they weren't able to stay level, as Tonks fired through three more points with eight minutes to go in a half where Edinburgh were able to stay just ahead for the most part.

Edinburgh's task of holding on was made slightly more difficult late on when Simon Berghan was issued with a yellow card with three minutes to play, but the visitors were able to kick out of play, relieving pressure and grabbing their second win of the season, the first time they have done so since 2009/10.

The scorers:

For Treviso:
Tries: Pratichetti, Naude
Con: Hayward
Pens: Hayward 4 

For Edinburgh:
Tries: Burleigh, Hoyland, Beard
Cons: Tonks 3
Pens: Tonks 2
Yellow cards: Cochrane, Berghan

Treviso: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Ludovico Nitoglia, 13 Tommaso Iannone, 12 Andrea Pratichetti, 11 Simone Ragusi, 10 Samuel Christie, 9 Chris Smylie, 8 Robert Barbieri, 7 Dean Budd, 6 Marco Barbini, 5 Tom Palmer, 4 Duncan Naude, 3 Rupert Harden, 2 Roberto Santamaria, 1 Alberto De Marchi (c).
Replacements: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Matteo Zanusso, 18 Simone Ferrari, 19 Filippo Gerosa, 20 Jeff Montauriol, 21 Braam Steyn, 22 Alberto Lucchese, 23 James Ambrosini.

Edinburgh: 15 Greig Tonks 14 Dougie Fife, 13 Chris Dean, 12 Sam Beard, 11 Damien Hoyland, 10 Phil Burleigh, 9 Sean Kennedy 8 Nasi Manu, 7 Roddy Grant (c), 6 Cornell du Preez, 5 Ben Toolis, 4 Fraser McKenzie, 3 John Andress, 2 Neil Cochrane, 1 Rory Sutherland.
Replacements: 16 George Turner, 17 Allan Dell, 18 Simon Berghan, 19 Alex Toolis, 20 Hamish Watson, 21 Nathan Fowles, 22 James Johnstone, 23 Jack Cuthbert.

Referee: Gary Conway (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Giuseppe Vivarini (Italy), Claudio Blessano (Italy)
Television match offical: Carlo Damasco (Italy)