Edinburgh end Connacht’s run

Date published: January 10 2015

Edinburgh became the first visiting team to win at the Sportsground this season as they beat Connacht 16-13 in Friday’s Pro12 clash in Galway.

Edinburgh held on a for a gritty win against Connacht thanks to a try from David Denton.

Edinburgh now sit just five points behind their hosts in seventh place, and were good value for their win despite the tight scoreline.

The conditions at Connacht were not ideal, but Edinburgh were the first side to get the better of the weather as well as the opposition.

Denton’s charge over the line carried on the Scottish side’s momentum after last week’s win over rivals Glasgow.

Edinburgh had the best of the first half, and certainly weren’t playing like a side who had lost six of their last seven games.

Connacht have been having a good season though, and hit back with a penalty through Miah Nikora. The home side’s first half comeback was complete soon after, after they were awarded a penalty try after a Edinburgh player came into the side of a scrum.

Another Nikora penalty on the stroke of half time made it 13-7 at half time.

Edinburgh sat just two places behind their hosts before kick off, and showed they were no pushovers after the break, as Sam Hidalgo-Clyne hit two penalties, including one from 51 metres out, to level the scores.

The second half became a game of kicks, and it was one by Hidalgo-Clyne which gave the away side the narrowest of leads as the clock ticked down.

That proved to be a vital score, as Connacht were left to stew over a defeat which could easily have been avoided.

Edinburgh meanwhile will see the win as another step on their road to recovery.

The scorers:

For Connacht:
Try: Penalty try
Con: Nikora
Pens: Nikora 2

For Edinburgh:
Try: Denton
Con: Hidalgo-Clyne
Pens: Hidalgo-Clyne 3

Connacht: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Darragh Leader, 13 Robbie Henshaw, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 Danie Poolman, 10 Miah Nikora, 9 Kieran Marmion, 8 Eoin McKeon, 7 Willie Faloon, 6 John Muldoon (c), 5 Aly Muldowney, 4 Quinn Roux, 3 Rodney Ah You, 2 Tom McCartney, 1 Denis Buckley
Replacements: 16 Dave Heffernan, 17 Ronan Loughney, 18 Finlay Bealham, 19 Ultan Dillane, 20 George Naoupu, 21 John Cooney, 22 Jack Carty, 23 Dave McSharry

Edinburgh: 15 Jack Cuthbert, 14 Dougie Fife, 13 Matt Scott, 12 Phil Burleigh, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Greig Tonks, 9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 8 David Denton, 7 Hamish Watson, 6 Roddy Grant, 5 Ben Toolis, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford (c), 1 Alasdair Dickinson
Replacements: 16 Neil Cochrane, 17 Rory Sutherland, 18 John Andress, 19 Fraser McKenzie, 20 Tomas Leonardi, 21 Sean Kennedy, 22 Jade Te Rure, 23 Andries Strauss

Venue: The Sportsground
Referee: Leighton Hodges
Assistant Referees: Andy Brace, Olly Hodges
TMO: Dermot Moloney