Edinburgh edge out Dragons

Date published: March 27 2016

Edinburgh moved above Cardiff Blues into seventh place in the PRO12 after they beat the Dragons 16-15 at Rodney Parade on Sunday.

On a poor pitch the first half was played at a slow pace and there were few openings for either side.

In total, four penalties were converted in the opening 40 minutes with Edinburgh seizing the advantage with a half-time lead of 9-3.

The second period was a more open encounter with both sides scoring tires in the half's opening exchanges. Two tries from Hallam Amos bookended a Hamish Watson effort to seemingly set up an exciting final quarter.

However, there was to be no further score as Edinburgh ran out 16-15 victors. The result sees the visitors secure a second victory in three games following a poor winter period.

Despite the bonus point, the Dragons remain stranded in tenth place, nine points clear of the bottom two and 14 points adrift of Ospreys in ninth.

Edinburgh took the lead in the 18th minute, Blair Kinghorn powering an effort between the uprights for a 3-0 advantage.

Next up it was Hidalgo-Clyne's turn to have an effort at the posts and he was successful with his kick to double the lead to 6-0.

The Dragons' Dorian Jones scored a penalty in the 39th minute to cut the deficit to three points just before the break.

However, Hidalgo-Clyne restored the visitors' six-point lead with the last action of the half to make the half-time score 9-3.

After the break it was the Dragons who came out of the blocks quickest. Welsh international Amos was on hand in the 42nd minute to score a good try for the hosts. Jones converted to put the hosts into a 10-9 lead.

The visitors were back in the lead just three minutes later, Hamish Watson crashed over the line for his seventh Edinburgh try. Hidalgo-Clyne converted for a six-point lead.

Amos had his second try of the match in the corner on 54 minutes to draw the home side within one point of their opponents. Jones had the chance to restore the lead but he missed, leaving the score at 16-15.

There was to be no further score in the match and this was how it finished with the Scottish side running out narrow victors.

The scorers:

For Dragons:
Tries: Amos 2
Con: Jones
Pen: Jones

For Edinburgh:
Try: Watson
Con: Hidalgo-Clyne
Pen: Kinghorn, Hidalgo-Clyne 2

Dragons: 15 Carl Meyer, 14 Ashton Hewitt, 13 Tyler Morgan, 12 Adam Warren, 11 Hallam Amos, 10 Dorian Jones, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Nic Cudd, 6 Lewis Evans, 5 Rynard Landman, 4 Cory Hill, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Thomas Rhys Thomas (c), 1 Phil Price
Replacements: 16 Hugh Gustafson, 17 Boris Stankovich, 18 Lloyd Fairbrother, 19 Matthew Screech, 20 Ed Jackson, 21 Charlie Davies, 22 Angus O'Brien, 23 Adam Hughes

Edinburgh: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Damien Hoyland, 13 Michael Allen, 12 Sam Beard, 11 Tom Brown, 10 Phil Burleigh, 9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 8 Cornell Du Preez, 7 Hamish Watson, 6 Jamie Ritchie, 5 Ben Toolis, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford (c), 1 Alasdair Dickinson
Replacements: 16 Stuart Mcinally, 17 Rory Sutherland, 18 John Andress, 19 Alex Toolis, 20 Magnus Bradbury, 21 Sean Kenned, 22 Chris Dean, 23 Dougie Fife

Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Sean Brickell (Wales), Simon Rees (Wales)
TMO: Geoffrey Warren (Wales)