Earls staying in Ireland

Date published: January 21 2014

The IRFU and Munster Rugby have announced that Keith Earls has signed a new two-year contract until at least June 2016.

The IRFU and Munster Rugby have announced that Keith Earls has signed a new two-year contract until at least June 2016.

Earls made his senior debut for Munster against the Ospreys in April 2007. The Munster Rugby academy graduate has made 91 appearances for Munster scoring 26 tries.

Earls made his Ireland debut in the 55-0 win over Canada in Thomond Park in November 2008. The 26-year-old has won 39 caps for Ireland scoring 12 tries.

Earls was Ireland's top try scorer at the Rugby World Cup in 2011 with 5 tries and he toured with the British and Irish Lions in 2009. His last appearance for Ireland was in the final game of last year's Six Nations against Italy.

His partcipation in this year's Six Nations tournament is in doubt after he was carried off the pitch in Munster's victory over Edinburgh last Sunday.

“Keith is a proven finisher and has shown guile and determination throughout his rugby career for both Munster and Ireland,” said IRFU CEO, Philip Browne.

“We wish him a speedy recovery from his recent injury and look forward to seeing Keith play for Munster and Ireland over the next two years.”

“We are delighted that Keith has signed a new IRFU contract which will see him remain a Munster player until the end of the 2016 season,” said Munster Coach Rob Penney.

“Keith is an exciting player whose speed and acceleration can cause havoc for opposition defenses. As a senior member of the squad he will play a huge role in the future success of the province.”

“I am delighted to sign a new IRFU contract and to continue representing my province,” said Earls.

“This Munster team has shown it has what it takes to compete with the best in Europe and I look forward to playing my role in bringing further success to both Munster and Ireland.”

COMMENTS