Du Toit linked again with Stormers

Date published: June 24 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_465506254

Springbok lock Pieter-Steph du Toit will swap the Sharks for the Stormers in 2016 according to a report in South Africa.

A source told Times Live that Sharks chief executive John Smit has confirmed that the 22-year-old has decided to make the switch to the Cape Town-based franchise.

Du Toit's departure will be another setback for the Sharks who have already announced the departure of Springbok forwards Bismarck and Jannie du Plessis as well as Willem Alberts.

The rising star has been linked with the Cape Town franchise already this year.

"Smit told us that Du Toit is leaving the franchise and there is not much he can do about it," the source told TimesLIVE.

"He's tried his best to keep him but it's clear his best hasn't been good enough."

Du Toit was born in Cape Town and played most of his junior rugby there but was snapped up by the Sharks after finishing high school. He has said in the past he was not keen on leaving the Sharks.

"I have a debt to pay to a franchise that welcomed me with open arms when I was a nobody out of school, and then have stuck by me for two years when I was mostly injured," Du Toit told Supersport last month.

"I need to honour that debt and I want to."

Sharks spokesman Novashni Chetty – speaking on behalf of Smit – said negotiations between the franchise and Du Toit were still ongoing.

"Pieter-Steph has been in talks with Western Province," Chetty told Times Live.

"No decision has been made as yet and negotiations are ongoing. We will await the outcome of those negotiations."

COMMENTS