Dragons fend off Treviso challenge

Date published: October 23 2015

The Dragons picked up their second win of the PRO12 season on Friday as they got the better of Treviso, winning 19-12 at Rodney Parade.

In the first half the home side gave themselves a deserved lead at the break. They dominated possession, getting themselves into good positions and kicking accurately to put the Italians to the sword. 

Ashton Hewitt looked sharp on the wing as the Dragons looked to turn their dominance into points. 

The start of the second half was punctuated by ill-discipline as both sides struggled to find their flow. 

Both Jason Tovey and Jayden Hayward were in fine kicking form throughout the match as free flowing attacking rugby was at a premium. 

Throughout the second half the Irish referee Dudley Phillips was very active with his whistle, bringing play to a halt regularly. This caused the pattern of the match to become very stop and start. 

However, the home side held out, condemning Treviso to five defeats from their first five matches. 

The Dragons opened the scoring through the ever reliable Tovey who scored a penalty in the second minute. The scores were level on 13 minutes as Treviso full-back Hayward took over kicking duties from Luke McLean to score the three points. 

The Dragons scored the first try of the game in the 23rd minute as flanker Nic Cudd powered over after a strong driving maul. Tovey added the extras giving the home side a seven point lead. 

The fly-half was involved once more five minutes late as he missed a drop goal attempt just before the Dragons earned a penalty. The Welshman putting the ball through the posts to earn his side a 13-3 lead. 

The visitors clawed back three points in the 32nd minute as Hayward added his second penalty of the match, bringing them to within seven points of the hosts. 

The 28-year-old added three more points a minute after the interval to bring his side even closer. 

Tovey restored his side's lead on 44 minutes through another penalty, the former Welsh U20 international taking his personal tally to eleven for the match. 

Treviso wouldn't lie down though as Hayward added another penalty to his collection in the 47th minute to keep themselves within touching distance. 

Tovey restored the hosts' seven point advantage on the hour mark with a well taken penalty from 30 metres out taking his tally to five from five. 

Hayward missed a penalty attempt for the first time on 62 minutes following a yellow card for replacement hooker Rhys Buckley and the match would finish with the Dragons running out winners by seven points, with Treviso going home with a bonus point.

The scorers:

For Dragons:
Try: Cudd
Con: Tovey
Pen: Tovey 4

For Treviso:
Pen: Hayward 4

Dragons: 15 Carl Meyer, 14 Ashton Hewitt, 13 Adam Hughes, 12 Adam Warren, 11 Nick Scott, 10 Jason Tovey, 9 Luc Jones, 8 Ed Jackson, 7 Nic Cudd, 6 Lewis Evans (c), 5 Cory Hill, 4 Matthew Screech, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Elliot Dee, 1 Boris Stankovich.
Replacements: 16 Rhys Buckley, 17 Phil Price, 18 Shaun Knight, 19 Rynard Landman, 20 Ollie Griffiths, 21 Sarel Pretorius, 22 Dorian Jones, 23 Charlie Davies.

Treviso: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Ludovico Nitoglia, 13 Tommaso Iannone, 12 Enrico Bacchin, 11 Simone Ragusi, 10 Luke Mclean, 9 Chris Smylie, 8 Abraham Steyn, 7 Dean Budd, 6 Francesco Minto, 5 Tom Palmer, 4 Marco Fuser, 3 Rupert Harden 2 Davide Giazzon (c), 1 Matteo Zanusso.
Replacements: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Alberto De Marchi, 18 Simone Ferrari, 19 Teofilo Paulo, 20 Jean-Francois Montauriol, 21 Robert Barbieri, 22 Alberto Lucchese, 23 Andrea Pratichetti.

Referee: Dudley Phillips (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Gwyn Morris, Gareth John (both Wales)
TMO: Jeff Mark (Wales)