Dragons clinch Premiership 7s title

Date published: August 29 2015

Newport Gwent Dragons stunned a star-studded Wasps outfit to win Friday's Premiership Sevens competition at The Stoop.

Eight teams had qualified for the final from the respective group tournaments held over the two previous weekends.

Dragons reached last year's final only to be defeated by Gloucester and were out to make amends, although that was no easy task with Wasps fielding a number of talented prospects including Christian Wade and Elliot Daly.

An early score from Elliot Frewen put the Dragons ahead before Wade hit back for Wasps, fresh from setting the record for the most tries in a leg of the Premiership Sevens competition with seven last Friday.

James Benjamin hit back for the Welsh region but it was Wasps who led going into the final minutes after new signing Dan Robson's assist for Wade.

However on the final play Harry Keddie's try snatched victory and the title for the Dragons, with Wasps having to settle as runners-up.

"It's definitely a very happy moment for all of us at Newport Gwent Dragons. We were so disappointed last year, losing out in the final, and it was our aim to go one step further this year," said Dragons captain Geraint Rhys Jones.

"All the boys really stepped up and showed that they've got some great skills. Everyone had to dig deep and got us that win in the end.

"That was such a tight finish and it was a very tough match. We knew Wasps were a very strong team, and if we were going to win the game we had to keep the ball away from them.

"So those last minutes we did so well to keep hold of the ball and keep them away from it, which finished with us scoring that last-minute try.

"This is such a confidence booster for our team. There were a lot of young boys who had never played in front of a crowd like this before, and they really stepped up against these big players to show that they're just as good."

Meanwhile, Exeter Chiefs won the Plate competition after defeating Sale Sharks.