Cooper’s future still unclear

Date published: July 13 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Quade_Cooper_Wallabies_training_EOYT_2013

Australia fly-half Quade Cooper has remained silent on his future plans, saying only that he is currently focused on the Wallabies.

Cooper has signed a contract to join European champions Toulon in 2016 but could still back out of the deal to join Australia's Sevens campaign to play at next year's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The playmaker, however, said he has pushed thoughts about his future destination aside for now.

"I'm very focused on the Wallabies right now," Cooper told AAP.

"The future is the future and the past is the past.

"The preparation for this week is all I'm going to focus on – getting out there, doing the right thing, contributing to the team – and we'll go from there."

The 27-year-old has ambitions of representing his country in Rio and Sevens now seems to be at the heart of ongoing negotiations between his manager Khoder Nasser and the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) after the Reds ended talks over a new deal last month. 

Cooper is in the running to start at fly-half for Australia in their Rugby Championship opener against South Africa in Brisbane on Saturday.

He said, however, that he does not know if he will wear the number 10 jersey or start on the replacements bench against the Springboks.

"If I'm in with a chance, then it's all looking well," he said.

"We're all just training, preparing like we're all going to play."

COMMENTS