Connacht win at Liberty Stadium

Date published: October 24 2015

Connacht claimed their fourth win of the season as they picked up an impressive 21-16 victory over the Ospreys at Liberty Stadium on Saturday.

Tries either side of half-time from Bundee Aki and Matt Healy helped Connacht to a narrow triumph.

Sam Davies gave the hosts the ideal start to game with a successful penalty goal after just two minutes, and shortly after Jack Carty's attempt at levelling the scores sailed wide.

Carty was on target minutes later to even up matters, but the game's first try, green-lit by the TMO after Dan Baker crossed, gave Ospreys an 8-3 lead.

The conversion was missed and, after Josh Matavesi was sin-binned for the hosts, Carty struck again to narrow the deficit to just two points.

Davies then missed the opportunity to restore a five-point lead, before Connacht crossed for their first try after good work at the scrum created the opportunity for Healy to crash over.

Carty missed the conversion, and then Davies spurned an opportunity to level things up for Ospreys, meaning it remained 8-11 into half-time.

A crucial score at the start of the second half from the visitors, which came from Aki following smart play at the line-out, and Craig Ronaldson's conversion, gave Connacht a commanding 8-18 advantage.

Davies booted over a penalty for Ospreys to make it a seven-point game, and they were back to within two when Justin Tipuric slid over.

But the conversion was missed, and a penalty from Ronaldson four minutes from the end of the game made it 16-21, and left Ospreys without enough time on the clock to find a response.

The scorers:

For Ospreys:
Tries: Baker, Tipuric
Pen: Davies 2

For Connacht:
Tries: Healy, Aki
Con: Ronaldson
Pen: Carty 2, Ronaldson

Ospreys: 15 Richard Fussell, 14 Tom Grabham, 13 Ben John, 12 Josh Matavesi, 11 Eli Walker, 10 Sam Davies, 9 Brendon Leonard, 8 Dan Baker, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 James King, 5 Rory Thornton, 4 Lloyd Ashley (c), 3 Dmitri Arhip, 2 Sam Parry, 1 Ryan Bevington.
Replacements: 16 Scott Otten, 17 Paul James, 18 Aaron Jarvis, 19 Rynier Bernardo, 20 Joe Bearman, 21 Justin Tipuric, 22 Tom Habberfield, 23 Dan Evans.

Connacht: 15 Tiernan O'Halloran (c), 14 Darragh Laeder, 13 Bundee Aki, 12 Craig Ronaldson, 11 Matt Healy, 10 Jack Carty, 9 Kieran Marmion, 8 Eoghan Masterson, 7 Nepia Fox-Matamua, 6 Eoin McKeon, 5 Aly Muldowney, 4 Quinn Roux, 3 Rodney Ah You, 2 Shane Delahunt, 1 Denis Buckley.
Replacements: 16 Dave Heffernan, 17 Conan O'Donnell, 18 Finlay Bealham, 19 Ultan Dillane, 20 John Muldoon, 21 Ian Porter, 22 Rory Parata, 23 Niyi Adeolokun.

Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU)
Assistant Referees: Sean Brickell, Aled Evans (both WRU)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)