Coetzee denies clinching Bok coaching deal

Date published: March 15 2016

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Allister_Coetzee_Stormers_v_Lions_2015

Allister Coetzee has denied that he has already signed a contract to become South Africa's next head coach.

The Kolbeco Steelers boss, who is currently on holiday in Cape Town, is believed to be the favourite to take over the reins from Heyneke Meyer at the Springboks but he insists that it's not a done deal yet.

The 52-year-old denied that he has already agreed terms with the South African Rugby Union. 

“Definitely not,” Coetzee told the HeraldLIVE website when asked if he had signed. 

“I’m in Cape Town on holiday and having a great time. A lot has been said in the media and I would not like to tell anything that is not close to the truth.”

Earlier this month, Coetzee revealed that he is interested in the Springbok coaching vacancy.

SARU president Oregan Hoskins confirmed last week that they have identified their preferred candidate and that the recommendation would be considered by their General Council.

COMMENTS