Burleigh try saves draw for Edinburgh

Date published: September 26 2014

A late try from Kiwi Phil Burleigh saw Edinburgh snatch a 20-all draw in Friday’s PRO12 clash against Scarlets at Murrayfield.

Edinburgh headed into the game seeking to end a run of two defeats following an opening day victory, while Scarlets were looking to make it two victories in as many games after overcoming a winless start to the season.

Two first-half tries gave Scarlets the lead at half-time, but the hosts remained in touch throughout the contest and that paid off as they levelled late on.

It took just 44 seconds for the visitors to hit the front. Harry Robinson capitalised on a defensive slip to pounce for the try, which Rhys Priestland converted.

Tom Heathcote reduced the arrears with a penalty goal shortly after but Priestland quickly responded in kind to restore the seven-point cushion.

The score remained at 3-10 until the 32nd minute, when Scarlets crossed for a second time after Liam Williams made a break from the line-out. Priestland was again on target with the extras, but Edinburgh were able to respond before half-time.

Tim Visser snapped up a lopping pass to score out wide and Heathcote’s conversion put the hosts back within a converted try.

Priestland’s penalty early in the second half gave Scarlets a ten-point cushion, but Heathcote again kept the hosts within touching distance with another three-pointer soon after.

The Scarlets still looked on course for the win as they repelled wave after wave of Edinburgh attack.

However they lost John Barclay to a yellow card with ten minutes remaining and that ended up being costly.

Their resistance eventually broke when the TMO confirmed a try for Burleigh a minute later, which Heathcote crucially converted to ensure the spoils were shared.

The scorers:

For Edinburgh:
Tries: Visser, Burleigh
Cons: Heathcote 2
Pens: Heathcote 2
Yellow card: Du Preez, Andress

For Scarlets:
Tries: Robinson, L. Williams
Cons: Priestland 2
Pens: Priestland 2
Yellow card: Barclay

Edinburgh: 15 Greig Tonks, 14 Jack Cuthbert, 13 Sam Beard, 12 Andries Strauss, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Tom Heathcote, 9 Sean Kennedy, 8 Cornell Du Preez, 7 Hamish Watson, 6 Tomas Leonardi, 5 Ollie Atkins, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 John Andress, 2 Ross Ford (c), 1 Alasdair Dickinson
Replacements: 16 James Hilterbrand, 17 Allan Dell, 18 WP Nel, 19 Grant Gilchrist, 20 Roddy Grant, 21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 22 Phil Burleigh, 23 Nick McLennan

Scarlets: 15 Liam Williams, 14 Harry Robinson, 13 Gareth Owen, 12 Scott Williams (c), 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Aled Davies, 8 Rob McCusker, 7 John Barclay, 6 Aaron Shingler, 5 Johan Snyman, 4 Jake Ball, 3 Rhodri Jones, 2 Emyr Phillips, 1 Rob Evans
Replacements: 16 Kirby Myhill, 17 Phil John, 18 Samson Lee, 19 James Davies, 20 Rory Pitman, 21 Rhodri Williams, 22 Steven Shingler, 23 Adam Warren

Venue: Murrayfield
Referee: John Lacey (IRFU, 38th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Neil Paterson, Stephen Hart (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Kirk (SRU)
TMO: David Changleng (SRU)