Braid blow hits Canada

Date published: September 28 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Canada_back_Connor_Braid_against_Italy

Versatile Canada back Connor Braid has been ruled out of the rest of the Rugby World Cup due to a broken jaw, with Patrick Parfrey called up in his place.

Braid was forced off during the opening stages of his side's 23-18 defeat to Italy at Elland Road on Saturday after suffering the injury along with a concussion. The 25-year-old underwent surgery but his tournament has come to an end.

"It's an unfortunate situation for Connor to have to end his Rugby World Cup early, but these things happen in rugby and we know he'll be back in no time," said coach Kieran Crowley.

"Pat was a logical choice for us because he brings a lot the team. He can play a number of positions in the backfield and has played for us on a number of tours over the last three years, including the Pacific Rugby Championship earlier this year in Fiji."

Parfrey has flown in to join the 31-man squad having previously been used by Crowley as both a fly-half and a centre in his seven test caps while also appearing for Canada's Sevens side.

He last featured for the national team in November 2014 against Romania, Canada's final Pool D opponents.

"It's a dream come true for me to be called in to Canada’s 31-man squad for the Rugby World Cup. It's tough that it comes due to an injury to Connor, and I wish him a speedy recovery," said Parfrey.

COMMENTS