Bonus point for reigning champions

Date published: December 23 2010

Toulouse run five tries past Glasgow to win 36-10 on Tuesday in a demonstration of why they are the defending European champions.

Toulouse run five tries past Glasgow to win 36-10 on Tuesday in a demonstration of why they are the defending Heineken Cup champions.

Maxi Medard and Virgile Lacombe grabbed first-half tries for the hosts who led 14-3 at the interval.
DTH van der Merwe gave Glasgow a glimmer of hope early in the second half but they were blown away by a clinical Toulouse outfit, who scored further tries through Clement Poitrenaud, Thierry Dusautoir and Vincent Clerc.
The Warriors had endured an uncomfortable week in the south of France with the weather across Europe causing chaos.
First Sean Lineen's men endured a 16-hour journey to Toulouse and upon their arrival they discovered their luggage had not arrived. That led to the game being postponed twice until the kit was located and delivered to the team.
The last time Glasgow visited the home of the European aristocrats, in 2009, they recorded one of the biggest shocks in Europe with a 33-26 victory. But the four-times and reining Heineken Cup champions ensured history did not repeat itself and compounded Glasgow's woes with a bonus-point to end Glasgow's European hopes.
Glasgow were up against it from the moment they arrived at Stade Ernest-Wallon where they were booed and heckled by Toulouse supporters angry with the game's previous postponements.
Toulouse came out firing on all cylinders and dominated the opening exchanges with Louis Picamoles coming close to scoring.
But it was Medard that broke the deadlock with a fine individual try after 10 minutes. The Top 14 leading try scorer found a miss-match in midfield and stepped inside prop forward Moray Low to race clear and score beneath the posts. David Skrela duly converted to give his side a 7-0 lead.
Colin Gregor came close to scoring after a trademark Max Evans break, but the scrum-half was dragged down agonisingly short of the line but the Warriors secured a penalty and Ruaridh Jackson dissected the posts.
With a clear spike to the game, it almost boiled over after 20 minutes with a mass brawl following a Toulouse penalty. Richie Grey was adjudged to have started the altercation and was sent to the sin-bin.
Toulouse extended their lead with a second try on the 23rd minute mark, Lacombe the beneficiary of a powerful rolling maul, with Skrela adding the extras.
Toulouse pushed for a late first half try but Glasgow's defence just about held on.
The visitors made a perfect start to the second half when Van der Merwe danced his way over after 45 minutes. The flying Dutchman stepped inside Poitrenaud to score between the posts. Jackson converted the solo effort to bring Glasgow within four points.
But Toulouse immediately struck back with a Skrela penalty before Poitrenaud made amends and raced clear to score a crucial try that Skrela expertly converted from the touchline.
And the European giants secured the all-important bonus-point try through Dusautoir on 65 minutes before Clerc rubbed salt into Glasgow's wounds.

The scorers

For Toulouse:
Tries: Medard, Lacombe, Poitrenaud, Dusautoir, Clerc
Cons: Skrela 4
Pen: Skrela

For Glasgow:
Try: van der Merwe
Con: Jackson Pen: Jackson

Yellow cards: Gray (Glasgow – 21st min) , Welsh (Glasgow – 64th min), Albacete (Toulouse – 73rd min)

Toulouse: 15 Clément Poitrenaud, 14 Maxime Medard, 13 Florian Fritz, 12 Yannick Jauzion, 11 Cédric Heymans, 10 David Skrela, 9 Byron Kelleher, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Thierry Dusautoir, 6 Jean Bouilhou, 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Yoann Maestri, 3 Yohan Montes, 2 Virgile Lacombe, 1 Daan Human.
Replacements: 16 Victor Paquet, 17 Jean-Baptiste Poux, 18 Census Johnston, 19 Grégory Lamboley, 20 Nicolas Vergallo, 21 Vincent Clerc, 22 Vilimoni Delasau, 23 Yannick Nyanga.

Glasgow: 15 Bernardo Stortoni, 14 Hefin O'Hare, 13 Max Evans, 12 Graeme Morrison, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Ruaridh Jackson, 9 Colin Gregor, 8 Richie Vernon, 7 John Barclay, 6 Rob Harley, 5 Alastair Kellock, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Moray Low, 2 Fergus Thomson, 1 John Welsh.
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Kevin Tkachuk, 19 Alastair Muldowney, 20 Chris Fusaro, 21 Henry Pyrgos, 22 Pete Murchie, 23 Federico Aramburu.

Venue: Stade Ernest Wallon
Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Assistant referees: John Carvill (Ireland), Olly Hodges (Ireland)
Television match officials: Kevin Beggs (Ireland)