Beale could still feature in November

Date published: October 28 2014

Kurtley-Beale-Wallabies-training-June-2014_3164035

Wallaby assistant coach Nathan Grey says Kurtley Beale “is definitely going to be considered for selection” on their tour.

Wallaby assistant coach Nathan Grey said on Monday there was still a chance that controversial back Kurtley Beale could yet feature on the Wallabies’ tour of Europe.

Last week a disciplinary tribunal found Beale guilty of sending an offensive picture message to a female Australian Rugby Union employee, who resigned as a result of the fall-out from the incident, and fined him $Aus45,000 ($38,500/ 30,300 euros).

However, Beale was not suspended, meaning he is eligible to play, although new Australia coach Michael Cheika did not include him in the squad for the five-match tour which starts with the non-cap international against the Barbarians at London’s Twickenham ground this coming Saturday.

But Grey, speaking to the BBC in London, said Beale was still in the mix for selection.

“Kurtley at the moment is back at home and he is training,” said Grey.

“He hasn’t played for a long period of time so we know he is working hard and trying to get up to speed in terms of his physical condition, and once he has done that he is definitely going to be considered for selection.”

Beale’s return does however faces another potential hurdle this week with the conclusion of a disciplinary probe into his row with the same team official – Di Patston – on a flight from South Africa to South America last month.

He still faces the possibility of further punishment after ARU “integrity investigation” – an in-house disciplinary process as opposed to last week’s independent Code of Conduct Tribunal.

The ARU expects the investigation to be finalised this week.

After the Barbarians fixture, Australia play four full Tests on succesive November weekends including matches against Wales and England – two of their opponents in the so-called ‘Group of Death’ at next year’s World Cup.

COMMENTS