Anglo-Welsh Cup wrap: Wins for Gloucester and Quins

Date published: November 5 2016

Gloucester and Harlequins got their Anglo-Welsh Cup campaigns off to good starts with victories over Saracens and Exeter Chiefs respectively.

Gloucester 36-32 Saracens

The home side were full value for their win as they launched a superb fightback to beat their hosts in an entertaining clash in front of an appreciative crowd.

Sarries led 25-5 courtesy of a brace of tries from Tom Griffiths and another five-pointer, a conversion and two penalties from Ben Spencer with Gloucester's solitary points coming via a Joe Mullis try.

The Cherry and Whites took control of proceedings in the second half and tries from Dan Thomas, Henry Purdy and David Halaifonu – two of which were converted by Lloyd Evans – meant Sarries held a slender 25-24 lead by the hour mark.

Sarrie fought back via a Tom Whiteley try but a penalty try and a 79th minute five-pointer from Halaifonu sealed a dramatic win for the hosts.

The scorers:

For Gloucester:
Halaifonua 2, Thomas, Purdy, Mullis, Penalty try
Cons: Evans 3

For Saracens:
Griffiths 2, Spencer, Whiteley
Cons: Griffiths 2, Spencer
Pens: Spencer 2

Gloucester: 15 Mat Protheroe, 14 David Halaifonua, 13 Henry Purdy, 12 Elliott Creed, 11 Ollie Thorley, 10 Lloyd Evans, 9 Callum Braley, 8 Lewis Ludlow (c), 7 Dan Thomas, 6 Freddie Clarke, 5 Joe Batley, 4 Charlie Beckett, 3 alesi Ma’afu, 2 Joe Mullis, 1 Cameron Orr 
Replacements: 16 Henry Walker, 17 Paul Doran-Jones, 18 Ciaran Knight, 19 Harry Wilson, 20 Will Safe, 21 Ben Vellacott, 22 Tom Hudson, 23 Harry Robinson

Saracens: 15 Andrew Fenby, 14 Mike Ellery, 13 Nick Tompkins, 12 Tom Griffiths, 11 Matt Gallagher, 10 Tom Whiteley, 9 Ben Spencer, 8 Samu Vunisa, 7 Kelly Brown (c), 6 Joel Conlon, 5 Nick Isiekwe, 4 Mark Flanagan, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Scott Spurling, 1 Richard Barrington
Replacements: 16 Jared Saunders, 17 Hayden Thompson-Stringer, 18 Billy Walker, 19 Jack Nay, 20 Ben Earl, 21 Henry Taylor, 22 Nathan Earle, 23 George Perkins

Referee: Matthew O’Grady (England)
Assistant Referees: Michael Patz (England), Simon Adams (England)

Harlequins 29-15 Exeter Chiefs

Quins were too strong in the second half, outscoring Exeter two tries to one for a comfortable home win.

Nick Evans got things started for the home side with an early penalty, before Aaron Morris scored eight minutes later. Exeter replied almost immediately with a try from James Short, but both sides missed conversions which would have given Quins an even bigger margin of victory.

Evans added another penalty to give the home side a 11-5 half-time lead. He added another shortly after the break before Chiefs hit back with a try from Elvis Taione, which Joe Simmonds converted tio bring them back into the game.

Quins secured the victory with two tries in the space of five minutes, first through Charlie Walker before Luc Jones made sure of the result with a five-pointer of his own.

The scorers:

For Harlequins:
Morris, Walker, Jones
Con: Evans 
Pens: Evans 4

For Exeter Chiefs:
Short, Taione
Con: Simmonds
Pen: Simmonds

Harlequins: 15 Aaron Morris, 14 Charlie Walker, 13 Joe Marchant, 12 James Lang, 11 Alofa Alofa, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Charlie Mulchrone, 8 Mat Luamanu, 7 Dave Ward (c), 6 James Chisholm, 5 Charlie Matthews, 4 Stan South, 3 Will Collier, 2 Joe Gray, 1 Mark Lambert 
Replacements: 16 Charlie Piper, 17 Owen Evans, 18 Adam Jones, 19 Mark Reddish, 20 George Naoupu, 21 Luc Jones, 22 Ruaridh Jackson, 23 Ross Chisholm

Exeter Chiefs: 15 Phil Dollman, 14 Max Bodilly, 13 Ollie Devoto, 12 Sam Hill, 11 James Short, 10 Will Hooley, 9 Jack Maunder (c), 8 Tom Johnson, 7 Ben White, 6 Dave Ewers, 5 Jonny Hill, 4 Ollie Atkins, 3 Greg Holmes, 2 Shaun Malton, 1 Ben Moon
Replacements: 16 Elvis Taione, 17 Moray Low, 18 Billy Keast, 19 Damian Welch, 20 Tom Lawday, 21 Stuart Townsend, 22 Joe Simmonds, 23 Harry Strong

Referee: Craig Evans (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Mike Hudson (England), Gareth Copsey (England)
TMO: Tim Hayes (Wales)