29-point Twelvetrees helps Gloucester win

Date published: October 16 2015

Gloucester opening their season with an impressive 39-27 victory over Newcastle at Kingston Park, with captain Billy Twelvetrees kicking 29 points.

With many fans expecting a close encounter, the first-half was anything but.

Gloucester skipper Twelvetrees was on form from the tee, kicking 17 points before half-time. The Cherry and Whites also ran in two tries from Matt Kvesic and Charlie Sharples.

New Falcons fly-half Mike Delany kicked one penalty in a very lacklustre first 40 minutes for the home side.

A much more resolute performance from the home side after the break saw them run in three tries from Simon Hammersley, Chris Harris and George Mcguigan, as well as nine points from Delany.

Gloucester's only points in the second-half came from the boot of Twelvetrees, who took his personal tally of the night to 29 with four penalties.

Twelvetrees kicked two early penalties for Gloucester, with Newcastle's ill discipline at the breakdown costing them.

Ex-Crusaders man Delany then replied with three points for the Falcons, before Twelvetrees went on to add a further two penalties.

The first try came on 24 minutes, when new Gloucester scrum-half Willi Heinz went blindside from a ruck, popping the ball to Kvesic who went over in the corner.

Gloucester's second try came five minutes later, with a break from young centre Billy Meakes, who kept his composure to find Sharples and the England man crossed the line to extend the lead to 21.

The Gloucester captain added a further penalty on 40 minutes to give the away side a 27-3 lead at the break.

Twelvestrees started the second-half as he ended the first by slotting another three points.

On 49 minutes, Newcastle full-back Hammersley broke through the Cherry and White line to go over under the posts. Delany then added a further penalty to reduce the gap to 17 points.

After yet another Twelvetrees penalty, Newcastle ran in their second try of the half on 59 minutes after a break from Harris off of a sublime Delany offload.

With Gloucester's number 10 adding another three points, Dean Richards' side responded with another try through McGuigan on 71 minutes. Twelvetrees rounded off the scoring with a final penalty on 72 minutes.

The scorers:

For Newcastle:
Tries: Hammersley, Harris, McGuigan
Con: Delany 3
Pen: Delany 2

For Gloucester:
Tries: Kvesic, Sharples
Con: Twelvetrees
Pen: Twelvetrees 9

Newcastle: 15 Simon Hammersley, 14 Tom Catterick, 13 Chris Harris, 12 Adam Powell, 11 Sinoti Sinoti, 10 Mike Delany, 9 Ruki Tipuna, 8 Todd Clever, 7 Will Welch (c), 6 Richard Mayhew, 5 Calum Green, 4 Mouritz Botha, 3 Taione Vea, 2 Scott Lawson, 1 Rob Vickers.
Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Eric Fry, 18 Scott Wilson, 19 Josh Furno, 20 Ally Hogg, 21 Micky Young, 22 Craig Willis, 23 Tom Penny.

Gloucester: 15 Rob Cook, 14 Charlie Sharples, 13 Bill Meakes, 12 Mark Atkinson, 11 Henry Purdy, 10 Billy Twelvetrees (c), 9 Willi Heinz, 8 Lewis Ludlow, 7 Matt Kvesic, 6 Jacob Rowan, 5 Elliott Stooke, 4 Tom Savage, 3 John Afoa, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Paddy McAllister.
Replacements: 16 Tom Lindsay, 17 Yann Thomas, 18 Paul Doran-Jones, 19 Sione Kalamafoni, 20 Ben Morgan, 21 Callum Braley, 22 Jonny May, 23 Steve McColl.

Referee: Thomas Foley
Assistant referees: Andrew Small, Wayne Falla
Television match official: Trevor Fisher
Timekeeper: David Hudson
Assessor: Gary Welsh